Valentine High School is among 22 Nebraska high schools selected to receive a College Access Grant from EducationQuest Foundation. The school will receive $5,000 a year over the four years to develop or enhance programs designed to increase the number of students who pursue education beyond high school.
The high school will use the grant to fund programs and activities such as college visits, college fairs, FAFSA completion days, financial aid sessions, scholarship searches, career exploration, and completion of college applications. The grant program also promotes involvement with families and businesses to help ensure the program’s success.
Thus far, funds have been used to support juniors and seniors as they attended college fairs in Mullen on September 11 and in Ainsworth on September 18. Approximately 40 representatives from four-year colleges, two-year community colleges, and the various branches of the military were in attendance. This was an excellent opportunity for our students to learn of the various paths they can pursue after high school. Students earned a gift card from Casey's for speaking with at least 3 representatives and completing a "Which path is right for me?" activity.
During our Apply to College campaign, seniors explored careers and discussed the importance of finding a college that is a good fit. They also learned how to pay for their higher education, and, we are proud to announce, every senior has applied to at least one college (for most, it is several). They celebrated this important milestone with a senior breakfast during On to College.
The grant will also make these trips possible for our juniors and seniors:
- Wayne State College and Northeast Community College on October 29
- UNK and Central Community College in Hastings on October 31.
- Chadron State College and Western Nebraska Community College in Scottsbluff on November 1
To ensure future success, the grant also requires that we secure a 10% business match each year. While we can utilize grant funding to start these new programs and enhance the current ones we already have in place, we want to keep it going past that. There are many ways in which you could partner with us to promote college and student success at Valentine High School. By doing so, you ensure that Valentine students have the best possible chance for success. Examples could include: ·
- Donations – We could use your donation in many ways to support our program goals. ·
- Supplies – Would you be willing to supply fuel, meat/cheese trays, juice, breakfast items, T-shirts, etc.? ·
- Sponsorship – Would you be willing to help fund one of our trips to a college campus or college fair? ·
- Tours – Would you allow a tour of your facility and explain all the levels of employment available within your business?
- Careers in the Commons – Would you like to speak to our students during their lunch to promote your business or talk to students about your career? ·
- Your Other Ideas – What other ways would you like to help us increase our college-going rate?