Miles of Smiles to Visit VCS
Miles of Smiles
On Friday, September 14, 2018, North Central District Health Department (NCDHD) will offer the Miles of Smiles program within the Valentine Community Schools. Miles of Smiles is a school-based fluoride dental program, available to preschool, elementary and middle school students within the nine county health district.
Miles of Smiles utilizes Public Health Authorized Registered Dental Hygienists to conduct a dental screening, fluoride application, and give a toothbrush and toothpaste to students. Fluoride can be applied 4-6 times per year and can decrease cavity development by approximately 38%.
This program is offered to ALL children! A non-required $15 donation is asked to help offset the cost, but there is no fee to participate in the program. North Central District Health Department is an approved Medicaid Provider and does have the ability to bill ones Medicaid. Children will not be denied services due to inability to provide a donation.
NCDHD offers clinics in all schools that are interested across the 9-county health district. For more information about the Miles of Smiles program, contact Sara Twibell, Miles of Smiles Coordinator for NCDHD at (402) 336-2406.
Did you know……..
- Miles of Smiles is a school based Dental Program.
- Miles of Smiles comes to every Elementary School, in the North Central District Health Departments nine county health district two times each school year.
- Provides an additional oral screening and fluoride varnish application for your child at each school visit.
- Provides a take home note for parents with results of screening.
- Fluoride varnish should be applied 4 to 6 times per year to be most effective.
- Is available to ALL children in the nine-county health district.
- Fluoride varnish costs anywhere from $28 to $60 at a dental office. Miles of Smiles asks for only a $15 donation towards the program.