Valentine Community Schools Receives Systematic AdvancED Accreditation
More about Valentine Community Schools AdvancED Accreditation
At Valentine Community Schools’ AdvancED External Review last April, the external review team analyzed various pieces of evidence that led them to identify both strengths and challenges of the school district. Strengths include those areas that the school district has effectively leveraged to provide quality educational experiences for students:
· VCS has a very clearly articulated and well-designed supervision and evaluation process in place and consistently implemented across all buildings
· VCS has a culture of being caring, helpful, collaborative, and supportive of high expectations for staff and students
· VCS has established and utilized a clearly defined and comprehensive student assessment system to ensure consistent measurement of student achievement.
· VCS has addressed possible expenditures and prioritized them to best promote student learning when considering staffing, maintenance of facilities, technology infrastructure, school safety, and meeting special needs of students.
In addition to strengths, several “Improvement Priorities” were also identified. Some of these areas were already in the process of being addressed at the time of the external review. Valentine Community Schools now has the responsibility of formally responding to these items in order to best impact student learning:
· Increase stakeholder engagement (students, staff, parents, community, Board) to strengthen initiatives.
· Increase system-wide mentoring and coaching program for new teachers.
· Increase training of non-certificated instructional staff in interpretation and use of data to enhance the opportunity for student academic growth.
· Implement an instructional model that provides a framework for teaching to promote teacher improvement and increase student learning.
A progress report on these items will be submitted in two years. Overall, Valentine Community Schools received an external review score of 288.29 (out of a possible 400 points). The average AdvancED external review score is 282.79, which places Valentine above the overall average. Congratulations, Valentine Community Schools!
----------- Previously ----------
What is AdvancED?
It’s all about being dedicated to achieving excellence through high standards and continuous improvement! AdvancED is the world’s largest educational community and leader in providing improvement and accreditation services to school systems in pursuit of maximizing student success. AdvancED serves as a trusted partner to more than 32,000 public and private schools and school systems enrolling more than 20 million students across the United States and 70 countries.
What is systematic accreditation?
A school that operates systemically is more effective in its improvements, ability to work together and function in harmony as interconnected pieces of a whole. The alignment at all levels creates understanding of how the subsystems interact within the larger context.
So, what does it mean for VCS students?
This accreditation process is a systems approach to improving student performance results over time, on all levels, and bringing research and resources to the Valentine Community Schools system. All teachers, administration, staff and students have a clear understanding of the mission and vision on our schools.